Disclosure: I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias and their client.
It's only 2 weeks away now! 'til back to school that is! Back to routines, back to getting up early, back to making lunches, etc. I can't believe that this year my girls will be going into grade 4 and grade 8?!They're growing up way too fast! They're getting so independent! But at least I'm still 'allowed' to make their lunches for them!
Our school here is strictly peanut-free which can be a tad tricky as so many things say 'may contain traces of peanuts', so that's a no-no! I'm so glad that Presidents Choice has made things easier on us by coming out with so many cool 'kid foods' that are FUN, taste great, and are clearly marked PEANUT FREE!
Those peanut-free snacks help me get on with my task of making healthy and creative lunches that my kids will actually eat! My oldest is pretty easy-going when it comes to her lunches, but the youngest is the picky one. She's almost 9 and has only JUST started eating sandwiches! And if her lunch isn't all in the one container then there is a higher chance of it not getting eaten!
Does anyone else have this issue?!
So how do I make lunches fun, especially for the youngest?
- use fun cutters where I can to make food that might not get eaten more appealing (cucumber stars!)
- try making a themed lunch (animal shapes, rainbow colours, etc)
- instead of a sandwich, cut the meat/cheese/bread and skewer it instead
- enclose a little 'love note'
- use fun re-usable containers, food picks, etc
- include the child, take into consideration what they'd like, compromise (they asked for FUN PC brownie penguins as a treat, I give them that with healthy fruits and veggies!)
- finger food or bite-size food is fun!(the girls say that PC wholewheat cheddar little penguins snack crackers are awesome!)
A sampling of our lunches!
How do you make lunches fun?
To see our Presidents Choice peanut-free lunch shopping experience in pictures, please check out our google+ album.