Whether we are currently enduring a Covid19 quarantine, or simply finding ourselves in a crowded area of folks, one thing is certain: our immune systems are critical. The health of our immune system has a huge impact on whether or not we are susceptible to the harmful effects of viruses and bacteria. In fact, our immune system is our primary shield against these environmental toxins, acting as our cellular barrier to protect against alien cells entering our body.
The optimistic side of Coronavirus (if there is one) is that the pandemic has shed light on how crucial it is for everyone to focus on improving our immunities now, as a key factor in preventing disease from entering and spreading through our bodies. Starting down the path of maintaining a healthy immune system is essential, but unfortunately, how to do so can be a bit murky.
With so many supplements and herbal remedies out there promising a magical cure-all, it is critical to separate fact from fiction (especially when keeping up with the Coronavirus News) for creating a strong, healthy immune system.”
Don’t Make This Complex When a Great Multivitamin Can Work Wonders for You
Pretending as if we are all able to achieve perfect immunity health through food alone is a lot like acting as if we can all sleep, wake, focus, and workout without assistance. Yeah, sure, it is possible. But why go it alone when there are outside sources that make it easier?
Self-managing your immune system requires extensive doctor visits and tests to ensure you are achieving your optimal levels of vitamins and nutrients. On the other hand, with a few exceptions, taking too many vitamins causes your body to simply expel the extra through your urine. This means that taking a multi-vitamin that is strong enough can ensure you’re getting everything you need and expelling the rest, removing all the guesswork, lab tests and finger pricks from of the equation.
Do yourself a favor and find a great multivitamin.
Don’t Overdo It, Don’t Underdo it
Twelve, two, five hundred and fifty. The number, amount, and perfect elixir of immunity boosters remain elusive so long as there are supplement companies out there attempting to sell us new magical formulas. It can all be relatively confusing and can also have a real impact on our total immunity health over time. As it turns out, the magical number is 25. From super greens to choline and the entire spectrum of the alphabet that relates to immune health, your best bet is to actually find a multi-vitamin you can simply trust because they have put all the hard work into formulating this for you. For example, here is a breakdown from Rootd and their entire ingredients list is transparently placed on their website, along with their nutritionist-tested research.
When it comes to the right supplement choice to build your immunity, the main takeaway is that a more complex, third-party tested, nutritionist baked formula is sure to outperform single vitamin promises like Emergen-C. Which, for example, is an 8-gram packet, 5 grams of which is immunity killing sugar!
Beware of Hidden Ingredients
Speaking of sugar, this is a secret immunity killer you need to look out for at all costs. Sugar reduces and can even compromise our immunity health. We should at least be consuming it knowingly in yummy desserts rather than having it buried within our multivitamins and supplements. Nearly every gummy candy contains sugars, as do many other supplements. Unless it explicitly says “no sugar” on the label, it is not to be trusted.
Know Your Immunity Essentials
While quantities differ as far as chemical needs, there is a universal set of golden supplement rules we can all abide by as adults. Please note that this does not apply to your children. We’ve included a complete list at the bottom of this article to provide a transparent snapshot into everything a healthy adult needs to maintain and improve their immunity health.
Vitamins 2.0: no pill choking or candy required
The reason we’re not hyped to swallow our daily vitamins may transcend all of the complicated hype out there, and could be distilled into a straightforward fact: swallowing pills is no fun.
Since eating candy is out of the question as it relates to immunity health, we’re left with few other options. This is why we love the vitamin drinks out there like Rootd, which give us a third option for healthy lives. No pills or candies necessary.
Here is a list of the best immune-boosting vitamins which Rootd has packed into their delicious sugar-free drink:
- Vitamin C is one of the biggest immune system boosters of all. In fact, a lack of vitamin C can even make you more prone to getting sick. Foods rich in vitamin C include oranges, grapefruits, tangerines, strawberries, bell peppers, spinach, kale and broccoli. Daily intake of vitamin C is essential for good health because your body doesn’t produce or store it.
- Vitamin B6 is vital to supporting biochemical reactions in the immune system. Vitamin B6-rich foods include chicken and cold-water fish, such as salmon and tuna. Vitamin B6 also is found in green vegetables and in chickpeas, which is the main ingredient in hummus.
- Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that helps the body fight off infection. Foods rich in vitamin E include nuts, seeds, and spinach.
- Vitamin D can modulate innate and adaptive immune responses. Deficiency in vitamin D is associated with increased autoimmunity as well as an increased susceptibility to infection.
- Zinc keeps the immune system strong, helps heal wounds, and supports healthy growth.
- Vitamin A is a micronutrient that is crucial for maintaining vision, promoting growth and development, and protecting epithelium and mucus integrity in the body. It is known as an anti-inflammation vitamin because of its critical role in enhancing immune function.